Mangalore Airport (IXE)
Mangalore Airport or the erstwhile Bajpe Airport is located at a distance of 7 km from the main city center. The airport commenced operations in 1951 after its inauguration by the then Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru. The Mangalore Airport is located on top of a hill and is the first airport to have two tabletop runways.
The initial passenger flights from Mangalore were bound to only two Indian cities, Mumbai and Bangalore. Massive renovations in the early 2000s helped in introducing new aircrafts and flying destinations to the airport. International operations commenced in 2006 with the first international flight operated by Air India Express to Dubai. The introduction of international services accelerated passenger traffic and annual revenues of the airport.
The airport is connected to major Indian cities as well as to several cities in the Middle East. Air India, Jet Airways and SpiceJet are the most popular domestic airlines at Mangalore airport that operate regular flight services to Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad and Visakhapatnam. Air India Express and Jet Airways connect Mangalore Airport with cities in the Middle East such as Kuwait, Dubai, Bahrain, Muscat and Abu Dhabi.
Mangalore airport has a new integrated terminal that handles both domestic and international flight services. The integrated terminal was inaugurated in 2010 and has the capacity to handle over 500 passengers during peak hours. The old terminal operates chartered direct flights to Madina in Saudi Arabia, since 2011, for Hajj pilgrims.
Traveling in and around
City buses ply between the airport and the rest of the city and vice-versa. The bus services are dependable and regular allowing travelers to reach their destinations on time. Mangalore airport has a pre-paid taxi counter at the arrival hall from where taxis can be hired to reach different places in the city and its surrounding regions.
Services and Facilities
Mangalore airport has 21 check-in and 14 immigration counters to complete processes quickly and conveniently. Free trolley services and baggage carousels are available at the airport for the convenience of the passengers as well as other basic facilities such as child care rooms, medical aids, ATMs and information desks.
Things to Do
The new terminal at Mangalore airport has many dining options offering delicious local food for passengers waiting to board their flights. The airport also has plenty of shopping options ranging from stores selling books and stationery to duty-free stores for purchasing perfume, cosmetics, watches and electronic gadgets.
The city is home to many hotels and home-stays that suit every kind of travel requirement and budget. Goldfinch Hotels and The Gateway Hotel offer luxury accommodation in Mangalore. Hotel Mangalore International, Hotel Kavitha Residency and Hotel Veenu International are the highly reviewed options in the affordable accommodation category.
Monsoons in the city can lead to poor visibility on the runways. The airport has witnessed two accidents, one extremely fatal, because of wet weather conditions. However, the airport is stepping up security requirements on the runways. Do plan your trip accordingly.
Mangalore is a serene coastal city that invites many travelers primarily because of its beautiful beaches. The Tannirbhavi Beach is a romantic place to visit and comes highly recommended amongst the beaches in South India. The city is also home to beautiful temples such as Kadri Manjunath Temple, Kudroli Gokarnath Temple, Kateel Shree Durgaparameshwari Temple and Someshwara Temple by the beach.
- What are the top airline brands that operate from Mangalore airport frequently? The top airline brands that operate from Mangalore airport frequently are – Etihad Airways, Jet Airways and Air India Express.
- What is the airport code for Mangalore airport? The IATA code for the Mangalore airport is IXE.
- What are the most frequent routes from Mangalore airport? The most popular sectors from Mangalore airport are Mangalore to New Delhi with 361 weekly flights respectively.
- When does the first flight leave from Mangalore airport? The first flight from Mangalore to New Delhi is at 7:05 AM, which is Etihad Airways airline 8959 followed by Air India Express 889 which leaves at 7:30 AM.
- When does the last flight leave from Mangalore airport? Jet Airways 0532 to New Delhi is the last flight that departs from airport at 11:25 PM.
Top Domestic Routes from Mangalore
- Mangalore Bangalore Flights
- Mangalore Mumbai Flights
- Mangalore New Delhi Flights
- Mangalore Chennai Flights
- Mangalore Hyderabad Flights
- Mangalore Belgaum Flights
Top International Routes from Mangalore
- Mangalore Abu Dhabi Flights
- Mangalore Dubai Flights
- Mangalore Kuwait Flights
- Mangalore Bahrain Flights
- Mangalore Doha Flights
- Mangalore Dammam Flights
Top Domestic Flight Schedules
Top International Flight Schedules
Mangalore Airport Details
- Mangalore International Airport
- "Airport Director
- 91-824-2220400, 91-9448125412.