Sri Guru Ram Das Jee International Airport (ATQ)
Named after the founder of Amritsar city, Guru Ram Das; Amritsar airport is a joint airport that serves the states of Punjab, Jammu and Himachal Pradesh. Located about 11 km from the central region of Amritsar on Amritsar-Ajnala road, the airport is one of the largest in North India and operates over 100 domestic and international flights. A new integrated terminal was inaugurated in 2009 as a part of the modernization program of 35 non-metro airports in India slated for completion by 2010. The massive facelift doubled the capacity of the airport, and it witnessed structural changes, runway expansions, established parking bays and updated cargo handling facilities.
Air India, Air India Express, Jet Airways, JetKonnect and SpiceJet are some of the domestic flight operators at Amritsar airport that run flight services between Amritsar and Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore and Srinagar. The international flight services to Doha, Birmingham, Dubai, Tashkent and Ashgabat are handled by Air India, Turkmenistan Airlines, Uzebekistan Airways and Qatar Airways.
Amritsar airport has only one terminal that integrates both domestic and international arrivals and departures. The integrated and renovated terminal encompasses some of the best and most advanced facilities. The annual capacity of the new terminal stands at 1.46 million passengers. The terminal is equipped to handle an hourly capacity of 1200 passengers during peak hours.
Traveling in and around
The railway and bus stations in the city are located 23 km and 22 km respectively from the airport. Private cars and regular bus services connect the airport with all the important places in the city and surrounding regions. Cycle-rickshaws are an interesting means of travel in the city.
Services and Facilities
Passengers can avail baggage services at the airport. There are two operational aero-bridges that enable quick and convenient passenger movements to and from the terminal. A new fully operational parking bay can accommodate hundreds of cars and two wheelers. The airport also has 30 check-in counters for faster check-ins and other fundamental facilities such as currency exchange offices and ATMs. The airport has detailed plans to increase the number of facilities and therefore appears in the list of the fastest growing airports in India.
Things to Do
Passengers who wait to board their flights at Amritsar airport can indulge in one or more of the many restaurants, cafes, snack and juice bars and fast food joints within the premises. The airport has advanced infrastructural facilities and also combines Indian aesthetics in its architecture and display of colors that is quite fascinating for tourists who have arrived from far corners of the world.
Amritsar is one of the popular tourist destinations of India and has an extensive range of hotels located near the airport. Holiday Inn Amritsar, Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Hyatt and Green Acres Haveli & Retreat guarantee luxury accommodation in the city. Hotel CJ International, Hotel Queensland, PR Residency and Ishan Villa provide comfortable and reasonably priced accommodation options in Amritsar.
The weather conditions in Amritsar are conducive for flight operations round the year. The airport authorities are maximizing facilities in the airport for the comfort of passengers and tourists. Information service desks are available at the terminal to answer travel related inquiries round the clock.
One of the most significant landmarks of Amritsar is the Harmandir Sahib temple more popularly referred to as the Golden Temple. The temple is a highly visited and reviewed place of interest in the city that invites thousands of domestic and international tourists round the year. The city is also home to historic sites, monuments, buildings and forts. The Jallianwala Bagh, Akal Takht and Tarn Taran Sahib temple are few of the many must-visit places in Amritsar.
- What are the top airline brands that operate from Amritsar airport frequently? The top airline brands that operate from Amritsar airport frequently are – Air India, Qatar Airways and Turkmenistan Airlines.
- What is the airport code for Amritsar airport? The IATA code for the Amritsar airport is ATQ.
- What are the most frequent routes from Amritsar airport? The most popular sectors from Amritsar airport are Amritsar to London with 320 weekly flights respectively.
- When does the first flight leave from Amritsar airport? The first flight from Amritsar to London is at 2:30 AM, which is Air India airline 115 followed by Qatar Airways 549 which leaves at 3:25 AM.
- When does the last flight leave from Amritsar airport? Uzbekistan 444 to London is the last flight that departs from airport at 11:55 PM.
Top Domestic Routes from Amritsar
- Amritsar New Delhi Flights
- Amritsar Mumbai Flights
- Amritsar Chennai Flights
- Amritsar Srinagar Flights
- Amritsar Bangalore Flights
Top International Routes from Amritsar
- Amritsar Doha Flights
- Amritsar Birmingham Flights
- Amritsar Dubai Flights
- Amritsar London Flights
- Amritsar Tashkent Flights
- Amritsar Ashkhabad Flights
- Amritsar Kuala Lumpur Flights
Top Domestic Flight Schedules
Top International Flight Schedules
Amritsar Airport Details
- Sri Guru Ram Dass Jee International Airport
- "Airport Director / Public Information Officer