Surat, situated on the banks of River Tapi, is the second largest city of Gujarat. Acclaimed as the ninth largest city of India, it is one of the most dynamic port hubs that is slowly becoming home to a large number of immigrants. Referred to as India’s ‘silk city’ and ‘Diamond city’, Surat is among one of the cleanest cities in India. It is not only recognized as the notable centre for man-made fibre (MMF) in India, but is also famous as one of the leading producers of gems. It is the cultural heritage of Surat that lures tourists extensively, from all over the world.
Places to Visit in Surat
- Dumas Beach - It is the biggest tourist attraction along the Arabian Sea, located about 21 kilometers southwest of Surat. It is a beautiful beach, popular as a weekend picnic spot.
- Science Centre- Located on the City Light Road, the Science Centre exhibits multiple interactive scientific technologies. It has an inbuilt planetarium, a diamond gallery, an amphitheatre, and a museum for tourist attraction.
- Jagdish Chandra Bose Aquarium- An underwater aquarium, it is the best tourist spot for children. Located in the area of Pal, it is a unique aquarium, the first of its type in India. The kids as well as nature lovers are lured by more than 100 species of fishes found in the aquarium.
- Surat Castle- One of the most popular historical places in Gujarat, it is also known as the Old Fort. It was built by the Gujarat Sultanate to safeguard Gujarat against the Portuguese invasion.
- Hazira- 25 km away from the city, it is one of the most beautiful places to spend leisure time with family or friends.
- Chintamani Jain Temple-Built more than 400 years ago; it is one of the most religious Jain temples in Gujarat with exemplary architecture.
- Dutch Garden- Another historically important place, it has the cemeteries of those officers who had settled in Gujarat for some business during the British rule.
- Swami Narayan Temple- The beautiful temple of Swami Narayan is dedicated to the Vaishnav sect of the Swaminarayans and attracts tourists who are religiously inclined.
- Gavier Lake- It is a paradise for bird watchers as a variety of migratory birds are seen here. The birds that can be spotted here are the Lesser Whistling-Duck, Yellow-fronted Pied Woodpecker, Small Blue Kingfisher, Indian Peafowl and Purple Sunbird, among others.
Weather & Temperature in Surat
In summers i.e. from April to June, the temperature reaches as high as 40-degree Celsius making the air dry. With July, come in the monsoons, making the temperature fall considerably. Lastly, it is the winters that are comparatively pleasant, with temperature ranging from 15-degree to 29-degree Celsius. May is the hottest while January is the coldest month in Surat.
Best Time to visit Surat:
Best time to visit Surat is from October to February. It is extremely pleasant in Surat during these winter months facilitating sightseeing and various other activities. Book cheap air tickets to Surat on Cleartrip!
Reaching Surat By Train
You can easily get regular trains to Surat from other major cities of the country..
Railway Station(s): Surat , Udhna Jn , Bhestan , Kosad