Cultured, musical, food paradise, and futuristic are a few adjectives that are apt for Kolkata and its people. It is also regarded as India’s intellect and culture capital. This capital city of West Bengal is located by the Hoogly River and is one of the finest cultural and educational hubs. It is also known as the “City Of Joy” and is one of the marvellous travel destinations.
The mouth-watering cuisines of Kolkata are a must try if you happen to be in the city. Its sweet delicacies rasgullas and sandesh are popular everywhere. These sweets are awesome, and you can carry them back home. The colonial era architecture, clubs, monuments, music, and poetry will truly impress you. Its sprawling gardens, historical monuments, Victorian buildings, and temples are a must visit. In short, you can say that Kolkata is a must visit place for those who love to explore new places.
Places to Visit in Kolkata
- Victoria Memorial – Named after Queen Victoria, the monument is considered to be the pride of the city and most visited too. It is the hot spot for tourists who visit Kolkata. This structure was built between 1906 and 1921. It is now a museum dedicated to Queen Victoria. This revivalist style architectural marvel was built with makrana marbles.
- Fort William – If you wish to get a glimpse of the ancient times of the city, this is the right place for you. This massive structure was built in 1773 and is a well-guarded structure. You need to take special permission to visit this place.
- Howrah Bridge – Built on the Hoogly River, it is the bridge that connects Kolkata to Howrah and offers a mind-blowing experience.
- Indian museum – If you are fond of artifacts and ancient stuff, you can head towards this museum for a massive collection.
- Science City – Take your kids to science city for a fabulous experience where they can learn and enjoy to the fullest. This place was opened for public in the year 1997. There are a lot of interactive exhibits put up at the dynamotion hall, which give hands on experience with science. The space odyssey, earth exploration hall, science park, and various shows are certainly not to be missed.
- Eden Garden – This cricket stadium is a temple for cricket lovers. So, if you love cricket and visit Kolkata, this stadium shouldn’t be missed. If you can chance upon a cricket match ticket for Eden Gardens then you can live your dream.
Weather and Temperature of Kolkatta
The city enjoys Koppen climate i.e. tropical wet and dry climate wherein summer temperature reaches 40 degrees in May and June. Summer starts from March and lasts up to June. In winters, it is around 25-12 degrees Celsius, and it lasts only December and January. Monsoons hit the city in June and stay up to September.
Best Time To Visit Kolkatta
November to February is the time when you can plan to come to Kolkata as the weather is pleasant. Book cheap Kolkatta flights on Cleartrip!
Reaching Kolkata By Train
You can easily get regular trains to Kolkata from other major cities of the country..
Railway Station(s): Howrah Jn , Sealdah , Shalimar , Kolkata , Dakhineswar , Bidhan Nagar , Dum Dum , Sodpur , Belgharia , Kolkata , Adi Saptagram