Kanpur, located on the banks of the holy river Ganga, is said to be the 2nd largest city of Uttar Pradesh. It derives its name from the word “karnapur” meaning “town of karna”. Karna was one of the characters in Mahabharata and held a lot of significance in the ancient history. It was in the year 1207 that a famous king called Raja Kanh Deo laid the foundation of this city. Kanpur is home to several big educational institutes like IIT, CSJM University etc. This agricultural and industrial city has a charm of its own and many places to explore. It is also known for leather goods.
Places to Visit in Kanpur
- Allen Forest Zoo – It is situated just 2 km away from the city. It is a perfect place for kids’ entertainment where they can explore wide species of animals and plants. This zoo was created out of a natural forest. Animals here are kept in natural surroundings rather than cages. It was developed by Mr. George Allen during the British rule in India.
- J K Temple – It is one of the famous temples of Kanpur and a must visit if you come to the city. This temple is made out of white marble and is a piece of perfection. The murals inside the temple are worth watching as they depict the tales from Mahabharata and Purans.
- Moti Jheel – This beautiful jheel is the greatest attraction of the city with a lovely park and garden seeking the attention of kids.
- Japani Garden – If you love to spend some time amidst nature then Japani garden is an ideal place as the atmosphere is pleasant as well as peaceful. This garden is ideal for both children as well as adults. You can enjoy boating, walks and swings, which makes it a perfect picnic spot.
- Ganga Barrage- This is a dam built across the river Ganges in the city of Old Kanpur. This bridge is situated 2 to 3 kilometers away from the zoo and contains a boating club. It is a good place for picnic.
- Massacre Ghat- This is a site of Kanpur Massacre during the Sepoy Mutiny in the year of 1857. You can still see the circular ridge of the well. This is the place where the bodies of women and children were buried.
Weather and Temperature of Kanpur
The city experiences hot and humid summers and chilly winters. The temperature may go up to 48 degrees in summers; and during the winters, it may fall down to 4 or 5 degrees. There is ample amount of rainfall in the months of July and August.
Best Time To Visit Kanpur
October to March is the best time to visit Kanpur as during winters, the climate is just perfect to explore the city.