Jaipur, the first planned city of India and also the capital of Rajasthan was built by Sawai Jai Singh in the 18th century. Also, known as ‘The Pink City of India’, it is the largest in Rajasthan. The city is also known for its rich cultural heritage and showcases Indian architectural magnificence with forts and palaces. Key ones are Jantar Mantar, Jal Mahal and Amer Fort.
It is a popular destination for both domestic and international tourists, a part of the west Golden Triangle tourist circuit and is connected with major tourist destinations in Rajasthan including Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, and Udaipur.
Places to Visit in Jaipur
- Amber Fort and Palace- Around half an hour's drive from the city center, Amber Fort is situated on a hill overlooking Maota Lake. It features various palaces, halls, gardens, and temples.
- Jantar Mantar- It is the world’s largest stone astronomical observatory. It was built by King Jai Singh II between 1727 and 1734. There are 14 structures in Jantar Mantar, which measure time, predict eclipses, and track stars.
- The Hawa Mahal- It is considered to be the signature building of Jaipur. The Palace of the Winds is probably Jaipur's most recognized building. Constructed in 1799, it has five floors through which wind used to flow, which perhaps gave the palace its name.
- The Nahargarh Fort- Nahargarh Fort is also known as the Tiger Fort. It is situated on the Aravali Hills. The fort was built in 1734 to help keep the city safe from invasion.
- The City Palace – This is the formal home of the Royal Family of Jaipur, who still resides there, in the Chandra Mahal. It is a huge complex that is a masterpiece of both Rajasthani and Mughal architecture.
- The Jaigarh Fort – This massive fort built in 1726 holds within its walls the world’s largest cannon on wheels.
- Jaipur Wax Museum– If you want to visit the Indian replica of Madame Tussaud’s Museum, you can take a tour of the Jaipur Wax Museum where you will find wax statues of some famous personalities.
- Temples– Famous temples in Jaipur are Govind Ji Temple, Galtaji Temple, Monkey Temple, and Moti Dungri Temple.
- Gardens – Famous gardens in Jaipur that you can visit are The Ram Niwas Garden, Vidyadhar Garden, and the Sisodia Rani Palace and Garden.
Weather & Temperature in Jaipur
Jaipur experiences three types of weather conditions. The summers that fall from March to July experiences temperature reaching as high as 45-degree Celsius. Rainfall mostly occurs from July to September and then comes the winter months. In these months, the weather varies from dry and warm to sunny during the days and pleasant in the evenings with temperatures falling as low as 5-degree Celsius.
Best Time to Visit Jaipur
The best time to visit Jaipur is from November to February. Book cheap air tickets to Jaipur on Cleartrip today!