by Richard M on Nov 21, 2014Hotel
I booked this hotel which included unlimited golf through Your Golf Travel. I had read mixed reviews about the resort prior to going so had my doubts, yet the golf
course did sound good.
Any how, we arrived and were warmly greeted. The gold had been booked prior to arriving and were told that a free shuttle would take us to the clubhouse and first tee. This was great. It is actually walkable, about 5 minutes maximum but a shuttle is easy and very accessible. Before I arrived I thought it was weird that the second tee and tenth green are outside the hotel, but having spoken to people living in Portugal I now understand what has happened. The golf course was built and two or three hotels, all owned by brothers have been built around it. Thus the reason that the hotel is next to the course but is not actually part of it, if that makes sense.
Nevertheless from a golfing point of view, it is great. When playing the course, the ladies and junior tees are red, followed by general play for down to 15 handicappers are blue, yellow and white tees for low handicaps and tournaments. We played from the blue and found that challenging enough, from the yellow one day it was tough! Great course set among trees and lakes, ocean views and sand. A great mix, even the short holes are hard but very nice to play on, and well kept.
As for the hotel, we stayed three nights. We ended up in the bar after golf every day, about 6 euros a pint (crisps and nuts free). After a shower in a lovely room it was into town. The hotel has some very nice restaurants, but for us it was eating out in town. The taxi costs about 6 euros also, and there is no problem getting a taxi back to the hotel. We also used the spa, the indoor swimming pool and sauna. Quite small but very nice and enjoyable.
We took a taxi from Lisbon airport to the hotel which was 55 euros, yet on the way back we used a local guy called Carlos from the taxi rank at Cascais and charged a mere 40 euros. Happy to supply his number if anyone wants it. Excellent English, very friendly and great knowledge of football and golf!
Overall golf was great, hotel was excellent, staff very friendly and helpful, and I would definitely recommend this place to anyone. Is it a 5 star, I think so yes. If it was in London or Dubai then no, but in Portugal yes.
by Kate M on Nov 10, 2014Hotel
We stayed here for a week in September, and really recommend this hotel. We felt at home here immediately and had a lovely, relaxing week.
- the bar and restaurant share a mesmerising view over the infinity pool, golf course and lakes; we had drinks here every evening
- the hotel arranged for us to share a private corridor with two rooms next to each other - perfect for our family group of two couples
- the rooms were large and comfortable with balconies and excellent housekeeping
- golf was easily arranged, had a choice of courses, and the courses were really enjoyable
- the spa worked hard to accommodate appointments, and was very good
- choice of indoor and outdoor pools, plus sauna and steam room
- we loved Cascais and spent a lot of time there, including dinner every evening
- Lisbon and Sintra were easy to get to for a day out
- sister hotel nearby is more contemporary / designer if you're in the mood
- staff were warm, friendly and wonderful; they arranged a birthday cake and prosecco for my dad without being asked, and arranged a packed breakfast for my parents when they left at 4.30am for their flight home
- it was late September and the weather was just about perfect
- our rental car was securely parked in the underground car park
- although not everything was low cost, we felt value for money was very good
Some room for improvement:
- on occasion there could have been more staff at busy times (breakfast with coffee and replacement of dishes, evening with ordering and paying for drinks)
- breakfast had a lot of choice and variety, but it was the same every day
- the shuttle bus to the golf course was late on our first golf day, so we were late for our allotted time
- wi-fi was available by the bar but really should be accessible throughout the hotel
All 4 in our group - ages from 35 to 68 - left feeling happy, relaxed and spoiled and would stay at Quinta da Marinha again.
by golfersinc on Oct 23, 2014Hotel
Stayed here for 3 nights 17th-20th Oct on a golf break. We stayed in 2 bed 2 bath golf villas which were located in the center of the resort. From
the look of all the other accommodation and the main hotel it looked as if we were in the cheap seats. However they were extremely comfortable and all that we needed for the duration of the stay. There is a seperate bar/restaurant and clubhouse that is specifically for the golf packages. This also includes a spa and a couple of pools. The main hotel is just 2 mins away and although we didn't use looked really nice. It to had a pool which you can also use. We were on a bed and breakfast basis and the breakfast was fantastic. Beer prices were a little steep, 6 euros a pint, however it is in line with 5* properties. Taxis into nearby Cascais is approximately 7 euros each way and well worth it as Cascais is beautiful. Plenty of bars and restaurant's. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and arranged all transport and booked restaurants for us. The hotel has a link with a fish restaurant in the town and will arrange free transport to and from. We ate there one night and it was really good. Restaurant is called , Monte Mar.
Now the golf, played at Quinta, Penha Longa and Oitavos Dunes.
Quinta was really good, a little wet in places but a really good test with some great holes. Not overly difficult if you play from the right tees. We played from the back on the first day, and although our pary included several single figure handicappers it was a slog, next day off the yellow tees it was far more enjoyable.
Penha Longa was wet, there has been a lot of rain in the region recently, and this made it very long even off the members tees. It was a great golf course though with some brilliant holes and scenery to die for. The par 3's were particularly memorable. Just make sure if you take buggies that you can take them onto the course, we had to keep to the buggy track and this was a chore. Fantastic clubhouse, again expect to pay 5* price
Oitavos Dunes, well its ranked 67 in the world, it is fantastic but not sure it is that good. It has a linksy feel to it with 360 degree vistas of the ocean, great springy turf an a joy to walk round, buggies here are 75 euros each. So good to walk for a change. Again choose the right tee's as its a monster of the back and ther will always be a little wind, alround a great trip and would definitely recommend.
by Pascal R on Nov 05, 2014Hotel
High level of features for this hotel. The sense of customer satisfaction is also great and has been much appreciated.
A nice place to stay even though you don't play golf.
The only weakness is the lack of flexibility to go to Cascais. Very few shuttle provided by the hotel while 4 kilometers to walk would be too much.
However and overall we are satisfied
by Deepankar B on Nov 04, 2014Hotel
A lush green landscape surrounded by golf course, outside the city centre an ideal destination for golf lovers and good location for team building event.
Quite place, where you can sleep well and fresh air from balconies will definitely rejuvenate your life.
Cleartrip’s hotel ratings take into account numerous factors such as independent rating systems like FHRAI, media recognition and post-trip feedback from our customers. We make all attempts to keep this information up to date, but cannot guarantee service levels at the hotel to be consistent.